Friday, February 15, 2013

New Chapters

Starting this book blog is a whole new chapter for me.   I will be learning as I go but am eager to share my thoughts/reviews with you.   I guess we should start at the beginning....

Throughout my adult life, I was never much of a reader.  I loved reading as a young girl/teenager, but I do not think I have ENJOYED reading since age 12, after reading all of the Sweet Valley High books.  As an adult, I would pick up a book and make attempts, but found that reading made me tired and after about 3-5 pages, I would be ready to fall asleep....and then that leads to taking entirely too long to read a book and losing interest.  

Well, apparently I was just reading the wrong kind of books (insert giggle here).  So, in June I was on Amazon, ordering a book that my friend wrote and published.   When checking out, I noticed I had just a couple of more dollars to spend to qualify for free shipping.....so I decided to browse.   One of the top sellers that week was Fifty Shades of Grey.  I had heard about the book, wondered what all the hoopla was about, so I decided to order it.  The order arrived a few days later.  I quickly read my girlfriends book, Life in Flip Flops, which is a wonderful collection of short stories.  I sat by the pool and read, story by story, until complete.  Knowing the author and having a little insight to her personal stories, made following along become such a personal and heart-warming journey.   I enjoyed it, was so glad and so thankful for my friend and the messages she put on paper, that left a smile on my heart.  As I closed the back cover, I thought back to the last time I had read for enjoyment, which had been a good 25+ years, and laughed to myself that it might be another 25 before I do it again.

Several days later, there still sat Fifty Shades, on the table, waiting for the cover to be opened and pages to be turned.   I picked it up and I don't think there has been a day that I have not held a book or ereader in my hand since.  Whether the romance is sweet or a little smutty (**blushing**), I am hooked.  Soon I realized I was not the only one.  Before long, chats were happening at the water coolers, facebook and over cocktails at Ladies' Night Out.....like an underground book club....ladies sharing thoughts and reviews of the books we were reading.  Before long, I was sending frequent emails about book reviews, links to purchasing new books, notification of free books, etc.....and before long people were looking forward to my emails and book reviews......we are hooked.....which leads us to my new blog "Booked On Romance".  It is here that I will come here to share book interests....reviews, new releases, suggested readings, etc.

I hope you enjoy the pages.  I am learning as I go -  and hope the learning curve is wide.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment